Metternicher Eule

Koblenz · Romantischer Rhein

The "Metternicher Eul", popularly known as the "Metternicher Eul", is actually a monument to the fallen soldiers of the Battle of the Nations in 1913 and the Wars of Unification in 1864, 1866 and 1870/71. The architect Wilhelm Müller from Frankfurt am Main had the pedestal made of trachyte, the crowning eagle was designed by Carl Stock, also from Frankfurt am Main, but the production was under the control of the Metternicher master stonemason Wilhelm Geisen. The driving force and chief financier was Max Weidtmann. On 19 October 1913, the monument was inaugurated with a contemporary, strongly patriotic, underlined event. The post-war period brought a transformation of the site into a memorial to the favours of the world wars. Although crowned by an eagle, the name "owl" quickly became established, which was soon applied to all inhabitants of Metternich and is reflected in the names of folk festivals, carnival clubs and shops.

Metternicher Eule


Metternicher Eule
Metternicher Eule
56072 Koblenz-Metternich