Schloss Gemünden

Gemuenden · Hunsrück

The original castle complex on the outcrop overlooking Gemünden dates back to the Sponheim dynasty. The Counts of Sponheim built the residential tower around 1350, of which only the cellar has been preserved. In 1514, Fritz von Schmidtburg bought Gemünden Castle from the Count Palatine of Simmern and expanded it. Large parts of the castle were destroyed by blasts and fires during the Palatinate War of Succession (1689), which took more than a quarter of a century to restore. The castle we see today (1716-1728), with four imposing round towers, was rebuilt in the early Baroque style on the foundation walls of the old castle complex.
The property passed to the present-day owners when the last Schmidtburg heiress married the Austrian captain Anton Baron von Salis Soglio from the Grisons in 1810. The stables on the west side of the castle were built in the mid-19th century. In 1937/38, a kitchen extension was added to the connecting wing while successfully preserving the historic fabric of the building. In one of the two old towers of the former castle there is a chapel which houses the funerary monument of Fritz von Schmidtburg. Other funerary monuments of later members of the Schmidtburg dynasty can be found in the choir of the Protestant church in Gemünden.

As Gemünden Castle is privately owned, we regret to inform you that it is not open to visitors or tours.
www.schloss-gemuenden.de

Schloss Gemünden


Schloss Gemünden
Schloßstraße 20
55490 Gemünden

Web: http://www.schloss