Evangelische Pfarrkirche, ehem. Wallfahrtskirche

St. Johann in Rheinhessen · Rheinhessen

The church and pilgrimage, donated by the Kreuznach line of the Counts of Sponheim, were once so important that soon after the building was erected, the patrocinium replaced the old place name Megelsheim. The simple but elegant stepped hall from the second half of the 14th century appears to be a one-piece construction. Only the west side reveals that the building was provisionally completed. Inside, despite the small dimensions, a spacious effect unfolds. The choir is decorated with two large, eight-metre high murals: The founders are depicted in veneration of the Mother of God and John the Baptist within a surreal-looking painted fantasy architecture, on the opposite wall a monumental Christophorus. Liebfrauenland - Gothic in Rhinehessen

Evangelische Pfarrkirche, ehem. Wallfahrtskirche


Evangelische Pfarrkirche
Kirchplatz
55578 St. Johann

E-Mail: ev.johannisgem.wolfsheim@gmx.de
Tel.: (0049) 6701 1308