Burg Rheinfels

St. Goar · Romantischer Rhein

Built in 1245 by Count Dieter V of Katzenelnbogen in St. Goar, Rheinfels Castle today represents the largest castle and fortress ruin on the Middle Rhine. As one of the few bulwarks on the Rhine, it was unsuccessfully besieged in both the Thirty Years’ War and the Palatine War of Succession, and not destroyed. So, the fortress was able to bear up against a 28,000-strong French army. It’s particularly its status as a residential castle and development to an extensive fortification that make Rheinfels Castle among the most important fortified sites on the Middle Rhine. Visits to the imposing ruins and various tours are possible; tasteful accommodation can be found in the romantic hotel adjacent. Hikers can reach Rheinfels Castle directly via the RheinBurgenWeg trail.

The castle is open for you daily from 09:00 to 18:00 (closing time 17:00).
The museum is open again from the Easter weekend.
In case of adverse weather conditions, the castle will remain closed for the safety of our guests - this will be decided accordingly on a daily basis.

Large areas of the castle, one of the largest cantilevered vaults and the museum can also be visited without a guided tour.

Admission fees:
Adults 6,00 €
Adults discounted 4,00 €
Pupils, students 4.50 €
Children up to 5 years free
Children from 6 - 14 years 3,00 €
Family ticket, parents with their children 13,00 €

Groups >10 persons (registration required):
Groups from 10 persons adults 5,00 €
Children up to 14 years 2,50
Pupils, students 3,00 €


Burg Rheinfels


Burg Rheinfels
Schlossberg
56329 St. Goar

Web: https://www.stadt-st-goar.de
E-Mail: urlaub@stadt-st-goar.de
Tel.: (0049) 6741 383

Opening hours:

Friday 10:00 - 15:00
Saturday 10:00 - 15:00
Sunday 10:00 - 15:00