Alter Turm

Elmstein · Pfalz

"Old tower" - Elmstein / Appenthal

In 1488 the local pilgrimage church of St. Maria was built, the tower of which still exists as a ruin. It belonged to the parish of Elmstein. Elector Philip the Sincere endowed two priestly benefices here for permanent pastoral care. According to an undated document, his son, Elector Ludwig V, endowed a weekly vigil with a mass for the souls "for the pious visitors and benefactors of the pilgrimage church" around 1510.

Text excerpt from: Franz Xaver Glasschröder: "Urkunden zur Pfälzischen Kirchengeschichte im Mittelalter", Munich 1903, p. 151 f.

The remains of St. Mary's Church, called the "Old Tower", characterize the townscape to this day.

Alter Turm


Förderkreis Kirchenruine Appenthal e.V.
Bahnhofstraße 91
67471 Elmstein OT Appenthal

Web: http://www.elmsteiner-heimatschrift.de/
E-Mail: redaktion@elmsteiner-heimatschrift.de