Luxury court living in the Baroque era

Weilburg Castle stands on the mountain spur around which the river Lahn flows, surrounded by a stately court garden, like a jewel high above the town. The whole castle complex is 400 metres long. In the 16th century, Philip III, Count of Nassau-Weilburg and his son Albert built the four-winged Renaissance castle which was to become the residence of the Counts of Nassau-Weilberg for over 200 years.

In Weilburg’s heyday in the early 18th century, John Ernst, Count of Naussau-Weilberg commissioned his court architect Julius Ludwig Rothweil with extending the castle in the Baroque style. This made it considerably more comfortable for the residents and their nearly 400 staff. The kitchen had running water and hearths that could be heated individually. Count John Ernst treated himself to a bath made of marble from Schüpbach in Switzerland, with hot and cold running water, which was unusual even in castles and considered rather an extravagance.

The castle is now owned by the Hesse Association of Historic Castles and Gardens and is open for guided tours. A stroll through the rooms becomes a trip back in time through the different eras of court living and noble luxury, taking in the history of the house of Weilburg-Nassau. The Weilburg Castle Concerts are held here every summer.

Stone bridge and Weilburg Castle, Lahn valley

Stone bridge and Weilburg Castle, Lahn valley

The last duke to live at Weilburg Castle was Adolph of Nassau-Weilburg. Although the residence of the Duchy of Nassau moved to Wiesbaden in 1816, he enjoyed the castle, and often stayed here with his wife, Princess Adelheid-Marie of Anhalt-Dessau. In 1890, he inherited the title of Grand Duke of Luxembourg. He died in 1905 and is buried in the family crypt in the Weilburg Castle Church.

Francois Lemaire from Saarbrücken was appointed court gardener in Weilburg in 1700 and designed the playful terraced Renaissance garden. Large, open staircases link the different terraces, with narrow gravel paths, a linden wood and splendid ancient trees, all making the perfect setting for a gentle promenade. The orangeries and garden rooms designed by Rothweil were added during the conversion to the Baroque style. In the late 18th century, an impressive park of defensive trees was planted on the escarpment and now appears to cascade down the slope. In the northern part of the castle complex, you can check into the former princess building and royal stables and feel like a king in the historic rooms of the Schlosshotel Weilburg.

The palace garden of Weilburg Castle, Lahn valley

The palace garden of Weilburg Castle, Lahn valley

The courtyard of Weilburg Castle, Lahn valley

The courtyard of Weilburg Castle, Lahn valley

More leisure tips for culture lovers in the Lahn valley:

More information about holidays in the Lahn valley

Find out everything you need to know on events, attractions and other destinations in the Lahn valley at the Lahntal Tourismus Verband e.V.

Lahneck Castle

Lahnstein The castle complex, built around 1244, lies above the mouth of the Lahn into the Rhine and conveys a classic Rhine Romanticism castle view through the…

Nassau Castle

Nassau Nassau-Oranien Castle was built around 1120 by the Counts of Laurenburg. After the division of the Nassau land in 1255, it was the undivided property…

Bad Ems thermal bath

Bad Ems One of the most modern and attractive thermal baths in Germany