Cusanus, doctor wine and Landshut Castle

Bernkastel-Kues is one of the most famous towns on the Moselle, and there are plenty of tales to tell during one of the many guided tours. Bernkastel is clearly ahead when it comes to themed tours, but Kues on the other side of the river is catching up. For example, the first town hall in the town of Bernkastel-Kues on the Moselle was built in Kues in 1602, making it six years older than its counterpart in Bernkastel. Where did this town hall once stand and why can it no longer be seen today? This is just one of the riddles solved during the historic guided tour of Kues. And there is plenty more to see in Kues too, including the birthplace of the town’s most famous son, Nicholas Cusanus, who was a cardinal, scholar and philosopher. The St Nicholas Hospital he founded in 1465 is a real gem.

In Bernkastel-Kues, there is a bear on some of the old buildings, including the town hall, the former primary school and St Michael’s Church. There were even two bears on the town’s coat of arms until 1951. The town council agreed by a small majority to replace one of the bears with a crab to honour Cusanus. His original family name was Kryfftz, which may be related to Krebs, the German word for crab. The story in Bernkastel is that this change to the coat of arms was only allowed to happen because those from Kues had a majority in the town council. This is the kind of thing you can only find out from a guided tour.

St Nicholas Hospital in Bernkastel-Kues, Moselle

Visiting the St Nicholas Hospital in Bernkastel-Kues, Moselle

Visitors can also admire the original well-preserved marketplace, the Renaissance town hall and the Art Nouveau-style villas on the banks of the Moselle. The tour guides also have a few wine stories, can share a little information about the bridge and have interesting tales about the history of the ruined Landshut Castle.

Historical market place of Bernkastel-Kues, Moselle

Walking over the historical market place of Bernkastel-Kues, Moselle

View from the castle Landshut of Bernkastel-Kues, Moselle

View from the castle Landshut of Bernkastel-Kues, Moselle

The ‘Bernkasteler Doctor’ tour is very popular. This is a legendary story: Bohemond II, Prince Elector of Trier, is said to have developed a severe fever during a visit to Landshut Castle. His personal doctors did not know what to do. Then a vintner brought in a little barrel of wine and explained that it would be the best medicine. The Prince Elector drank it with gusto and his health improved. As a symbol that this wine was ‘the real doctor’, the Prince Elector gave the vineyard the esteemed honour of being allowed to call itself ‘Bernkasteler Doctor’.

A themed history or wine guided tour with the ‘Berkasteler Doctor’ and the night watchman is always an entertaining option full of anecdotes and stories you will not find in any travel guide.

View of Landshut Castle at Bernkastel, Moselle

View of Landshut Castle at the part of town Bernkastel, Moselle

More leisure tips for culture lovers at the Moselle:

More information about holidays in the Moselle valley

Find out everything you need to know on events, attractions and other destinations in the Moselle valley at Mosellandtouristik GmbH.


Little panorama train

Bernkastel-Kues The panorama train passes numerous sights on its approx. 45 minute ride through Bernkastel-Kues and offers great views of the city.
Spitzhäuschen am Marktplatz in Bernkastel


Bernkastel-Kues It is one of the most popular sights of the Moselle region. The Spitzhäuschen in the old town of Bernkastel-Kues is a real crowd puller.

Doctor Vineyard

Bernkastel-Kues The “Doctor” in Bernkastel is a famous vineyard within the bigger vineyard site of “Badstube”. It is situated directly above the historic town center…
Bernkasteler Doctor Karlsbader Platz

Doctor Wine Tour

Bernkastel-Kues A popular legend in the Moselle town says that in the 14th century the Elector Boemund II of Trier became seriously ill during a stay at the castle…
Cusanus Geburtshaus Außenfassade

Cusanus birthplace

Bernkastel-Kues Current: Changed opening hours 2020: until 2 August: Saturday/Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., afterwards closed due to renovation work.The birthplace…
Kloster Machern

Machern convent

Bernkastel-Kues The former Cistercian nunnery, opposite Zeltingen Rachtig, is a popular day trip destination: a beautiful monastery park, two large restaurants, a…